Thursday, January 3, 2013

Bacolod City | The Sunday Pilgrim and Masskara in the City of Smiles!

Thursday, January 3, 2013


Bacolod is the capital city of the province of Negros Occidental here in the Philippines. It is the home of the world-famous Masskara Festival.


It still does have the same effect on me every time I remember my short visit in Bacolod - the word "surreal" always pops up on the top of the list. The expected itinerary did not include longer than three hours of stay as I am just to get myself to the terminal, book a ticket to the earliest bus trip, hop in a bus and get some sleep while inside, as it courses through a connecting land route on my way to Dumaguete City. Surely, it is still unthinkable to me until today that Bacolod gave me more than what I had in mind. To sum up, it gave me an unexpected beating that I long to go back there again someday.


Widest Roads.

Of all the places I have been, I could never find another city that is closer to Bacolod in terms of having widest roads. Oh wait, Davao boasts a lot in this category too.What made me decide to spend the night and postpone the Dumaguete trip until the next day was plain, sheer exhaustion. I have been on the road the whole day since 10 am that morning. Imagine me hopping islands in the western Visayas; that was quite a feat challenging my physical stamina. I am just glad I endured the trip on my own with the help of a few God-sent angels along the way and the web (when you get lost, there's always Google Maps to get direction or find nearest hotel).

Going solo on a trip is not bad at all then but proves to be one awesome adventure. In those times, I could imagine high on myself as one of the contestants of the Amazing Race more than being an avid viewer. It's all a mad rush to seek new places, visit new alley, find interesting local delicacies, try to capture unique scenery and candid moments of human interest. Traveling gives me back much energy as much as it takes.

Bacolod is still surreal to me up to this time but remains one beautiful, unforgettable memory. The longest connecting trip I have ever made in my life. To date, Davao-Zamboanga land trip comes second only to this one.

San Sebastian Cathedral in Bacolod was built from 1876-85.

It is located at 1755 Rizal Street, Bacolod City, 6100, Negros Occidental









































0 comments:

Post a Comment